Sunday, March 21, 2010

Shut It Down Tag-less


Louis was working the day shift at the Crick offices today and was all over the initial leak of this song. Unfortunately at that point the only the only version available was for sample clearance only (I think, it wasn't made very clear). Since then the album version has leaked. This song bores the fuck out of me and at this point I really don't like it. Louis is probably going to get mad at me and say that I am close-minded and only listen to Nas circa Illmatic, but I am a big fan of Drakes other Rhythm and Blues work. So Far Gone established him as a real double threat with singing (Lust for Life, Houstlantavegas) and rapping (Say What's Real, Congratulations). I am going to choose to ignore this song for the time-being and continue to rock out to another Drake sing along that leaked recently, Fall For Your Type:

The internet is telling me that this is merely a reference track (I still don't really what that means, can someone clarify?) for Jamie Foxx, but I pray it's on Thank Me Later. That beat is some serious zone out shit, and Drake's crooning is far more appealing than his whispering on Shut it Down.

Shut It Down - Pretty Shitty

Fall For Your Type - Sooo Sick

1 comment:

  1. My understanding of a "reference" track (given my extensive experience in the business as both a performer and an executive) is that it's a demo of sorts; i.e., Drake (et. al) wrote the song for another artist and recorded the demo to give to whomever they wanted to record it for themselves (in this case, Jamie Foxx). It's like how The Dream's recording of Umbrella slays Rihanna's.
    Also, I hate you, you're closed-minded, and you only listen to Nas.

    ReplyDelete

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com