Thursday, May 7, 2009

Drizzzzyyyy

I may be a bit behind on the Drake bandwagon, but better late than never as they say. Biff acts like he all but gave birth to Drake and that he put him on to the entire globe, but it should be noted that I listened to the gem of the mixtape, So Far Gone, far before Drake was hyped on this blog. I just didn't realize it's greatness until now. I will get to to actual tape in a second, but first I must display the beauty of one song in particular. Congratulations was a bonus cut off the tape so it's possible that even loyal Drake followers haven't heard this song. It's just one of those songs that takes over your life for a certain period of time, I'll get out of the way and let Drake take over the show.

The lines, "I'm still myself, suicide bars I kill myself," might be the most beautiful six seconds of music that I've ever heard. Drizzy ups his swag to levels Kanye can't even see on his SLU verse with the line, "my reality is brighter than your dreams are, i got your dream girl ridin in your dream car." Shit is fucking fire. He even gets introspective and lays it down in the third verse, "i got the key to happiness and all the copies." The Coldplay sample really compliments this anthem perfectly and Drake kills it with his crystal clear flow. Now onto the full tape.

This is easily the best mixtape released by any current Frosh rapper, that I've heard. I wrote on Biff's wall that it was a "seductive masterpiece." There's just something enchanting about the whole album, it's good enough to be called that. Sonically it is amazing. The subject matter of the album isn't exactly the most diverse, he spends most his time tellin tales of his lady troubles and successes. This could be classified as female music, but there's enough rapping 16's on here to keep me interested. His debut, Thank Me Later, can't come soon enough. Drake takes the cake as best 09er in my book solely off this tape.

Congratulations- Sickest Thing Ever
So Far Gone- Sooo Sick

1 comment:

  1. Yeah let's keep reviewing shit 3 months after it comes out!!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com