Monday, November 2, 2009

"Green Tomatoes" Music Video


I don't know what it is about this song, but at this point I really don't like it. Like, I'm considering un-checking it in my iTunes library. Where to begin? Jay's flow is mediocre at best. We've heard him redefine the term "on point" as it pertains to rapping; this is not one of those instances. I used to think the beat was hot, but now it feels more like some bullshit Garageband piano loops thrown together (although the drums are dope for sure; I will concede that point). Yes, my girlfriend Alicia kills the hook (i.e., she doesn't sound like nasal auto-tuned Rihanna), but also it's kind of hard not to hear her say "Concrete jungle with green tomatoes" anymore. Just listen for it once and you will never think of this song the same way again (don't believe me? Ask The-Hair, Chester, or D-Cup). Maybe I'm just very sick of the fact that I've seen at least 500 Facebook status updates that say, "[White girl from the northeast] is NEW YORK, CONCRETE JUNGLE WHERE DREAMS ARE MADE OF, THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN'T DO." Of course, this doesn't make sense at all, because I can think of a fuckton of things I can't do in New York (although I'm sure there are green tomatoes there). Some things I can't do in New York, just off the top of the dome: tolerate any of the sports fans for more than 15 seconds; walk down the street after dark with no fear of a crime being committed against me; drive over the George Washington bridge without hitting an infuriating amount of traffic; pull any tail at a night club; find a republican. And that's just shit I though of while I was on the toilet. Imagine if I was deranged.
The point is, I'm sick of this song. I like watching Jay-Z on screen rapping, and obviously I don't mind spending any amount of time looking at moving visuals of Alicia Keys doing anything, but really this video changed nothing in my mind. If I had to imagine a video for this song, this is EXACTLY would I would have pictured in my brain of brains.

Green Tomatoes Video - Whatever

PS, My point: there's no way you can tell me that this video is better than this one. The best, Jerry. The best.

3 comments:

  1. i'm glad to hear that fateful drive to the mall ruined the best song on the album for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. DOA is the best song on the album hands down no votes unanimous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. venus vs. mars dude. we all know that.

    ReplyDelete

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com