Monday, April 13, 2009

Asher Roth Addresses Eminem and Skittles Comparisons

Apparently Asher's album has leaked, and I found a website to download it from but I couldn't finish because class ended. That's the price you pay for leading a double life as a superhero blogger/slacker student. I will try again to download it like, I don't know, now, and hope it works.
In the meantime here's a new cut off the album that features Harvard's very own Chester French on the hook. It's called "As I Em" and it is about the horseshit/racist comparisons between Asher and Eminem.

I'm glad he addressed it, and he did it in a very non-confrontational way. Like I said before, Asher is just a laid-back dude who wants to have fun and kick it with the homies, or as he says, "All I do is eat, drink, smoke weed, and rap...and play Madden." He is really nothing like Eminem at all, other than the fact that they're both white and yes their inflection is slightly similar, but in no way is Asher biting Eminem's style at all. Yes, Eminem did release commercial friendly music that got mad airplay, but his albums are dark and on many levels very disturbing. Do you think Asher would ever do a song about how he murdered his wife and drove his daughter to the pier with him to dispose of the body? That's some fucked up shit, and all Asher ever really talks about is like eating pancakes and fucking bitches, so in terms of content, I really don't see the connection. They're completely different artists with completely different approaches to what they do. Eminem is arguably one of the top 8 lyricists of all-time, whereas Asher has clearly defined his approach as nothing more than getting wasted, having sex and then rapping about it.
This song is good, and very necessary. He gives Eminem his props for breaking down the barriers that white rappers (such as Asher and myself) face, but he also makes sure that everyone knows that the only real connection between the two is their appearance. Just listen to this, and tell me that it reminds you of Asher at all. It doesn't. It's some fucked up shit.

"As I Em" - Sick

3 comments:

  1. yo chester french kills some shit. check out their new mixtape with clinton sparks and whole bunch of dope features.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M&M's and Skittles are similar candies

    ReplyDelete

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com