Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ghetto Geek

The hip-hop culture and the cigarette-skinny jeans-wayfarer eyeglasses culture have come closer and closer to merging lately, what with rappers wearing skinny jeans and sampling indie bands for beats, and The Fray covering Kanye West songs (I guess you could argue that Kanye himself is responsible for 85% of this phenomenon, but that's another discussion for another day).
Well someone has decided to take it to the next level, making a mixtape that flips Sufjan Stevens songs into beats that slap and lace hot flows (did I not just write that like a white pseudo-intellectual from New England who wears skinny jeans and loves hip-hop? I did. Tell me I did. I fucking did).
Evenways, the tape is called "Illinoize," a play on Sufjan's bomb "Illinois" album. Here is my personal favorite from the seven-track collection:

I love this because you really can't go wrong with Brother Ali's venomously on-point flow, and also because it's a great sample that makes for a top-notch soulful-sounding beat. This sounds like some shit that Ant would cook up for Rhymesayers. I must say I'm slightly jealous, because I've been hoping to sample Sufjan for like two years, but I never got around to it between breaking in my jeans and reading Wikipedia. Hey, you snooze you lose. You live and learn. Suck a dick and die.
Download the more than solid mixtape here.

"Illinoize" - Sooo sick

2 comments:

  1. dont you turn metacricket into pitchfork

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would seem that as the only one who posts I would be able to turn it into whatever I want, wouldn't it

    ReplyDelete

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com