Monday, March 2, 2009

The Problem with Humans & Trends

In the fall of 2007, a colleague and I founded a Facebook group/social movement called "Students Against Aviator Sunglasses." The foundation was devoted to helping rid the world of lame kids hopping on the trend wagon of aviators, which were popular in the 80's when Top Gun came out and made a resurgence in the early 2000's, because fashion and culture are cyclical (see: skinny jeans, Mickey Rourke, and the Democratic party).
In the early stages of this fashion development, aviators were trendy and ironic: few people wore them or knew about their resurgence, so those who hopped on it early most definitely rocked their aviators with confidence and swag. Unfortunately, after white kids everywhere caught on, the trend was killed, because every dorkus from the neighborhood had at least 3 pairs of aviators that they thought were hella sick and they wore like they fucking owned the world (I especially feel bad for those who splurged on Ray Ban aviators, because that's a waste of money). Well, aviator fever has died down recently, and will undoubtedly return in 15-20 years reprogrammed and almost unstoppable (see: Terminator, The). What has taken its place as the fashion accessory du jour? Why, shutter shades obviously!
Once Kanye rocked the shutter shades in the "Stronger" video, there was a small contingent of people who immediately purchased the glasses because we all wanted to gargle Kanye's balls and anything he does is awesome. Chester bought a pair in September, and I got mine shortly thereafter. For a while I wore my shutter shades with extreme pride: I knew I was part of a select minority of people who had surfed the internet diligently enough to find a place to acquire these pop culture gems. They were fucking ill and I even made my album artwork the photo of me wearing my shutter shades (if you wear them while you make a beat then the beat is hot as fuck).
Unfortunately for me and Chester, shutter shades have taken that inevitable step toward the dark side. Vendors started selling knock-offs on the street for cheap; Kanye sold them at his Glow in the Dark Tour; kids starting wearing them in all sorts of colors. Now every knobslobber with a pulse and a 5 dollar bill had access to our precious ironic accessory. What had started off as a niche trend blew up and became mainstream, and we all know how much I hate it when I find something secret that I like and then other people ruin it for me by making it all mainstream and beating it to death thrice over (see: Planes, Paper). This photo typifies the shutter shades crisis:
This tool bag doesn't even have a real pair of shutter shades (which can be purchased here by the way). He's got some greezy-ass knock-offs with fucking actual sunglasses underneath. What a fucknugget. Kanye has a whole page on his blog devoted to the bastardization of his utterly unique style, right here. This whole thing makes me so mad. I'm gonna go home and bite my pillow.

Humans ruining cool things - Really shitty

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com