Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Honestly, If You Don't Appreciate This Song Then Fuck Yaself

With Metacricket seemingly turning into Asher Roth's personal fansite, I feel the need to hype another rapper from the freshmen class who I consider to be far superior. Biff's frequent championing of Ash has changed my opinion of him though, and now I will check for his debut despite the horrible lead single "I Love College". Nevertheless, I'm here to talk about Jay Electronica. Jay is already over 30 years of age and is not destined for mainstream success, but I don't even think he wants it. He's more interested in flipping movie scores into beats to rap over, e.g. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. He produces his own shit and has one beat on a major release, the haunting Queens Get The Money off of Untitled. A lot of his beats have no percussion which will turn off plenty of listeners, but if Kanye did it it would be musical genus. He may not be as fun or whimsical as Asher Roth, but there's a time and place for everything, especially socially conscious and musically beautiful hip hop. That is what Electronica provides. If he were to drop a record on a mainstream label I believe it would be the same quality of a Food and Liquor, but if it were dropped on his current abstract label it would probably be along the lines of something like Below The Heavens. Either or it's a win win situation. Anyways, the real reason I wanted to post about Jay Elec was to share the song, Exhibit A(Transformations), with the world. Produced by Just Blaze this song is like extreme machine gun artillery melt your face off lyrical heat. Just listen...


This Song - Greatest Thing Of All Time (The Departed)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com