Tuesday, March 31, 2009

New Wale

Wale's album, which is going to be called "Attention: Deficit" (see what he did with the colon there?) is going to drop some time this summer, which obviously makes me cream my jeans every time I think about it. Here is the first single, which I like many moons but Mike will obviously hate:

Granted, the beat is slightly annoying, what with the vocal sample shouting at you and rattling your speakers, but apparently the final mix is going to replace all that annoying shit with some Lady Gaga vocals, but I don't see how an artist named "Gaga" could possibly decrease the level of annoying on a song.
Irregardless, Gaga has been getting mad hype because she went to NYU and she writes her own songs and she's retro-trendy, which is pretty much the kind of shit that critics and hipsters eat up and overhype (see: MIA).
But this is not Gaga's show, it's Wale's show, and he does a great job of killing this beat, which I personally like. Here's my favorite lyrical excerpt:

Let's talk about the cars ya'll got
You say you got alotta whips, well I got a Lot
I got the right to be cocky
Get so much cut disc jockeys jock me
You niggas mad that you not me
I remain a Giant and you Jeremy Shockey


Do you get it? "You say you got a lotta whips, well i got a LOT." Christ jesus, that's murder.
His flow is always on point, and his lyricism combines the technical skills and intellectualism of Lupe Fiasco with the pop culture sensibility and wordplay of (2005-2007) Lil Wayne. So that means he's a combination of the best rapper alive and the "best rapper alive." You do the math on that one.
Once this song inevitably gets more refined for a major-label release then it will be the kind of feel-good summer banger that everyone will love and I will undoubtedly bump in the C-Bring while busting 5 knots in a 4 knot zone. Overall, a more-than-solid debut for my main man Wale.

"Chillin" - Sooo sick

1 comment:

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com